I like my smoothies creamy yet light and ‘very veggie’. My love Jan prefers his filling, nutty and just a hint sweeter than I do.
We both often gladly compromise. Other days, we’ll create the very fruity/veggie base, pour half in a glass (for me) and then mix in some more nuts, seeds and dates to create his favorite.
Thus, we both get what we need to get us going in the morning <3.
Cut and put in the blender to create a creamy yet very veggie smoothie:
- 1 big apple
- 1 orange
- 1 inch piece of rhubarb
- 1 small raw beetroot
- 2 spoons of fresh fennel (the vegetable, not the seeds)
- 1 handful of pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or both
- 2 spoons of flax seeds
- 1 big spoon of avocado, for creaminess (can be replaced with cashew nuts)
- 1 inch piece of fresh turmeric, or a spoonful of turmeric powder
- dash of black pepper (necessary to make the curcumin in turmeric bio-available!)
- 2 dates
- dash (or two) of cinnamon
Or, the create a breakfast bowl: double the amounts of nuts, seeds, avocado and dates. It’s nice to keep the breakfast bowl grainy by not blending the last addition of nuts etc, all the way. Top off with some more seeds and raisins.
If you like the concept of the breakfast bowl (a perfect bowl of mixed nuts, fruits and veggies, which I love sooo much better than yoghurt and cereal), read this post, where I feature the favorite recipe of my friend and inspirator of this lifestyle dish: Simone van Putten.